District Land Office
July 12, 2012
This United States Government Land Office was constructed at Bloomington, Nebraska and opened on July 1, 1874. After the closing of the land office at Lowell, all files were transferred to Bloomington. The Bloomington Land Office served settlers in south central Nebraska until it closed on December 31, 1890. All files were then transferred to the McCook Land Office.
In 1952, the old land office building was purchased by Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska to be one of the buildings at the historical museum. Each stone was individually numbered before the building was dismantled and then rebuilt at its new site.
This is a rare "Astronomical Compass".
A postcard from the 1960-70's showing the land office at Pioneer Village.
© Jerry Penry 2012