Nebraska GLO Monument
SECTION 26 - T12N - R7E
John B. Gridley
May 12, 1858
September 25, 2006
This stone is an outstanding example of an original GLO monument that was marked on all four sides. John B. Gridley was an excellent surveyor as proven by his notes matching what can be found on the ground. Gridley had originally contracted to survey the subdivisions for T12N, R7E in 1857, but had become ill in late 1857 and was given an extension to finish his contracts the following year.
The notches, also known as hash marks, on the sides of the stone represent the distance in miles to the nearest township line. Since this stone is at the NE Corner of Section 26, the distances in miles to the township lines would be 4 north, 2 south, 1 east, and 5 west.
Gridley noted this monument as being a "Flint Rock" measuring 20"x12"x10". The measurements taken in the field the day of the excavation yielded a size of 18"x12"11" which is remarkably close to Gridley's dimensions. Many other early surveyors in Lancaster County, Nebraska, commonly noted this type of stone as being a "Red Flint". The stones are pink quartzite or sandstone. Striking the stone with a metallic object will cause sparks which is likely why they were noted as being flint.
The 1858 stone after being excavated and cleaned.
On the north face 4 marks indicate a distance of four miles north to the township line.
On the south face 2 marks indicate a distance of two miles south to the township line.
On the east face 1 mark indicates a distance of one mile east to the township line.
On the west face 5 marks indicate a distance of five miles west to the township line
Jerry Penry holding a stone placed by another surveyor 148 years earlier.
Lowering the stone back into the hole.
Back to GLO Stones
© Jerry Penry 2010