Nebraska GLO Monument
E ¼ CORNER
SECTION 3 - T7N - R6E
David G. Fleming
July 29, 1857
March 20, 2007
This original GLO monument was marked with the chiseled "¼" indicating it to be a quarter corner. David G. Fleming noted it as being a Granite measuring 15"x12"x7". Field measurements taken on the date of excavation placed the size at 18"x7"x7". The stone is actually a Pink Quartzite. The presence of the "¼" markings rules over any discrepancy in size or type of rock to prove that it was the original monument.
The 1857 stone with a witness pipe on the north side. Many surveyors mistakenly think the pipe marks the corner location.
A chiseled "+" on the top of the stone was likely placed at a later date.
The excavated stone with the chiseled "¼" markings.
Back to GLO Stones
© Jerry Penry 2010