SE Corner of Nebraska
(Nebraska - Kansas - Missouri)
This point marks the beginning for all surveys in Nebraska and Kansas. It also was the beginning point for most of the surveys in Colorado, Wyoming, and part of South Dakota. The original intent was to place a specifically-made cast iron monument at the location marking the southeast corner of Nebraska in the fall of 1854. Due to low water it could not be shipped upriver until the spring of 1855. On November 16, 1854, John P. Johnson set an oak post at this location. The oak post was replaced with the cast iron monument by Charles A. Manners on May 8, 1855.
The monument is commonly referred to as the "Cast Iron Monument". The north face reads "NEBRASKA.", the south face reads "KANSAS.", the west face reads "40° N. LAT.", and the east face reads "1854". This point in on the high bluff along the west side on the Missouri River on approximate 40° North Latitude. The actual southeast corner of Nebraska is the center of the Missouri River channel. This channel frequently changed before the Missouri River was channelized. In 1999 the boundary between Nebraska and Missouri was fixed by a series of mathematical computations in the center of the Missouri River.
The east and south faces of the Cast Iron Monument.
Looking east toward the Missouri River.
This sign is along the highway between Rulo, Nebraska, and White Cloud, Kansas.
The areas shown in yellow have the common beginning point at the Cast Iron Monument.
The Government Land Office plat for T1N, R18E.
© Jerry Penry 2009