U. S. Coast & Geodetic Survey
Magnetic Station

BASSETT
1915

Jerry Penry
May 16, 2010


The Bassett magnetic station is an example of one of the early USC&GS bronze disks placed in concrete. These bronze disks were flat on top instead of domed as they became in later years. The description for the Bassett magnetic station first appeared in the USC&GS Special Publication No. 36 which detailed the magnetic observations made during 1915. It is assumed that the station was placed during that year. Prior to 1915 most of the magnetic station bronze disks were placed in limestone posts instead of concrete. It is located in the northeast corner of the courthouse grounds and is just below the surface of the grass.



The Bassett magnetic station in the foreground. Looking southwest toward the northwest corner of the Rock County courthouse.




Close-up view of the Bassett magnetic station set in concrete.



Description for the Bassett magnetic station which appeared in USC&GS Special Publication No. 36 for the year 1915.



Aerial view of the Bassett magnetic station location.


Magnetic Stations Main Page




© Jerry Penry 2010