COAST & GEODETIC SURVEY
(98th Meridian Triangulation Stations in Nebraska)
The 98th Meridian Survey was a north-south triangulation network that connected with the east-west transcontinental triangulation network in central Kansas at a point known as "Meades Ranch". This network went north to Canada and south to Mexico and closely followed the 98th degree of longitude for much of its route. The network entered Nebraska in 1898 at the southern border and then left the northern border in 1901. There were approximately 32 main triangulation stations in Nebraska and at least 10 secondary points. Two baselines at Shelton and Page were precisely measured. The network also connected to two existing triangulation stations of the Missouri River Commission in northern Nebraska. The entire 98th Meridian Survey from border to border of the United States was completed in 1907.
BLUE HILL BRAYTON CARTER CHADWICK COUNCIL HILL
DAILY DIVIDE ONO PAGE
Back to USC&GS Monuments
© Jerry Penry 2010